Thursday, July 14, 2011

Why the NFL needs to get it's shit together

I realize I'm a bit late to this party, but apparently the NFL has been in a lockout since March. This simply will not do. Look, I'm not a sports person. Growing up I lived in Canton, Ohio so the only way I could rebel was to learn absolutely nothing about football, much to the dismay of my father. (I also dyed my hair purple, but that's a different story for a different day.) During football season I was allowed four glorious hours of uninterrupted reading time. I could sit in my room, open a book, and go somewhere else. This was my time. I looked forward to it every weekend in the fall. The only reason anyone ever called me on a Sunday in the fall is if someone has died, or they are in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. So, if the lockout continues, and there's not football this year, that means my reading schedule is going to be interrupted.  No football means that  friends will call me wanting to do things on Sunday afternoons. I'll also get random phone calls from my father wanting to discuss golf.   My world will be upended. This does not make me happy.

I understand how important sports are to people. It's a collective experience that allows people to suspend parts of them self and be part of something larger. It's as important to participate in an experience like this as it's as important for me to have well established alone time. Mentally, if I don't get those four hours I get cranky. I'm sure a football fan feels the same way. So, together, as football fans and as someone who has zero interest in the sport, the lack of said sport is a problem.

So, NFL, get your collective shit together. End the lockout as soon as humanly possible. Give sports fans something to look froward to, and give this woman her four hours alone on Sunday. It shouldn't be that difficult.

(Image brought to you by: Merkz+Girod Architects)

No comments:

Post a Comment