Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Things a Writer Should and Shouldn't Do

In my link round up this week I included a list from Three Guys One Book of 50 Things a Writer Shouldn't Do. As inspiration I came up with my own list.

A list of Don'ts:

1. Don't spend 15 pages describing a room. I'm able to conceptualize that myself.

2. Don't pick up a thesaurus and find a synonym for a frequently used word, I'll notice.

3. Don't feel the need to write to cement intelligence. I know you are smart, talking to me like I'm in Kindergarten will get your book thrown across the room.

4. Don't treat your fans like they are pests.

5. Don't ignore your editor. Sometimes less really is more.

6. Don't get so wrapped up and in love with one of your characters that a series goes on too long. It's okay to let them go.

7. Don't treat a contractual obligation as a means of publishing complete crap. You signed a three book deal, most people do not get that opportunity, use it wisely.

8.  Don't try to rewrite Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow. Books like that come along once a generation, and more than likely you aren't that talented.

9. Don't hide behind metaphors. It's a sign of a lazy artist.

10. Don't fight for a bad book. Sometimes authors publish, unknowingly, something terrible. Admit it and move on. The more open you are about it the more I will respect you.

A list of Dos:

1. Do cite your inspiration for the work. Whether it be a poem, painting, news article, or movie I wanna know.

2. Do have interactive areas for your fans.

3. Do book signings.

4. Do encourage other authors to write. The more that's published the better off we all are.

5. Do embrace new technology. E-readers aren't the death of publishing, it's a rebirth. The faster you grasp that the better off we all are.

6. Do interviews. Lots of interviews. From the smallest blogger to the NY Times talk to people about what you do. It's important that people realize writing is a skill that gets better over time.

(Image brought to you by: Wallis Kate)




No comments:

Post a Comment