Wednesday, July 20, 2011

On Marriage

 For a moment, dear readers, I'd like to concentrate on my marriage. On July 21st we celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary. I love him more now than on the day we were married. My husband makes me a better person. He encourages me, he treats me as his full partner, and I've found we work best when we are a team.

On our wedding day I read him a poem. I felt that e.e. cummings summed up how I felt more than I could put into words. Here's what I read:

one's not half two. It's two are halves of one:
which halves reintegrating, shall occur
no death and any quantity; but than
all numerable mosts actual more
minds ignorant of stern miraculous
this every truth-beware of heartless them
(given the scalpel,they dissect a kiss;
or,sold the reason,they undream a dream)
one is the song which fiends and angels sing:
all murdering lies by mortals told make two
Let liars wilt,repaying life they're loaned;
we(by a gift called dying born)must grow
deep in dark least ourselves remembering
love only rides his year.
                                   All lose,whole find

That was my vow to him. All these years later I feel like I've lived up to some, but not all of this. We've grown together, laughed more than we've cried, held hands though the darkest days, and kissed one another every single morning. We've got more growing to do, more life to live together. As we've matured so has our marriage. Yet still, I love him more than words can say. Flaws and all, he's the best part of my life.

On Thursday I'll wake up and he'll growl at my alarm clock. He does this every morning, it's subconscious at this point. I'll look at his sleeping form and kiss the part that's exposed by the sheets. A small smile will creep across my face. We made it another year. In a world that seems to move faster than light and that's louder than a jet engine I've got someone's hand to hold. The two of us marvel at it. Somehow we found each other in this big place. I can't wait to see what the next 9 years will bring. Some of it will be difficult, some of it fun, some of it absurd. As crazy as it gets, we'll go though it together.

Thanks for reading this post. I just wanted to pour my heart out for a moment. I wanted to everyone how much  he means to me.

PS Nine years in, he still does his own laundry. The night we were married I vowed to never do it. My husband folds his own socks, and it's going to stay that way. Period. He also kills scary bugs. So, if you think about it, he may really be the modern version of my white knight when it comes to cockroaches.

(Image brought to you by: Photo Problem

3 comments:

  1. I would be lying if I didn't tear up ever so slightly. Congrats Mrs & Mr Inthewater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. I did tear up. And I'm a little late to this post, I know. I'm catching up.

    ReplyDelete