Friday, July 15, 2011

Blogging, journalism, ethics, and what I do.

If, dear readers, somehow you've missed the phone hacking scandal that's happening across the pond, you are missing out on one of the biggest news stories in the last 25 years. Here is some quick information about it. Google should help with the rest. It's going to turn journalism on it's ear.

This scandal got me thinking about ethics, specifically, my ethics as a blogger. Blogging has never had well established rules. Now, this isn't the point where I try to justify to the world that I've hacked the voicemail of a crime victim, I've not done that, nor will I. But this is the point where I feel like I need to be open about what I do and what journalism does.

Journalism has a well established code of ethics. Want to do an interview and remain anonymous? Well, that's possible. Deep Throat's identity wasn't revealed until 2005. Journalists have gone to jail for not revealing sources. Bloggers? Well, we are a tad different. If I interview a subject, you bet that I'm going to reveal who it is. Granted, as a tiny book blogger in Austin, Texas so I'm not going to be party to a lot of interviews relating to national security. However, the book world has it's secrets. An interview subject that comes to me has to realize there is no expiation of privacy. I will reveal his or her name, and I will publish the interview in an edited format.

Second, revenue sources are a huge issue among bloggers. As my readers, I feel like I have an absolute obligation to tell you if I obtain a free book, generate income though a program like Amazon Associates, or I'm offered payment for a blog post. This is simply nonnegotiable. Sure, I like free stuff and money, but hiding that makes me look bad. You have my absolute word that if that ever happens I will be open, honest, and you'll know exact figures. Journalists work under the ethical obligation to tell this to their readers as well, but it often flies under the radar. Check out the corrections section in most news papers, that's where the revenue sources are often revealed.

Third, I will tell you if I like or dislike something. Critics that work for papers like The New York Times work under an ethical obligation to keep their opinions out of a story or a review. I will never do this. Part of my criticism of professional critics is that they've put far too much distance between themselves and the subject. This is flat out impossible for me to do. If I'm going to spend a week of my life reading a book I better tell you if I liked it. It's only fair to you so time isn't wasted reading a book that's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Blogging, to me, is about being upfront about what I do. Whether it be how I'm paid, how I come across an interview subject, or simply letting you know if I like something. My goal is never to beg for forgiveness, it's to be open and honest about this space. I hope, in time, that I am able to entertain you as well as inform. Let me know if you've got objections to what I've written. I'd love to hear it.

(Image brought to you by: Lux Tenebra)

2 comments: