Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Hugo Awards my thought process behind my imaginary vote.

As July comes to an end, I've read all the Hugo Award nominees for 2010. Just to review, here's the list.

Blackout/All Clear by Connie Willis

Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold

The Dervish House by Ian McDonald

Feed by Mira Grant (pen name for Seanan McGuire)

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin

Who should win? Well, isn't that an interesting question. Each book brings something to the table that's unique and worthy of it being on that list. Blackout/All Clear brings an emotional story of time travel. Think Dr. Who, but subtract out the TARDIS. Cryoburn brings classic SciFi, and a well established world. The Dervish House brings a topical story, thrusts it into the future, and makes it deal with modern technology. Feed takes the rules of a world created back in the 1960s and modernizes them. The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms creates a world that is far away, but familiar at the same time.  

When looking for the winner of an award like the Hugo I've got a few basic rules.

1. It's got to be fresh and unique.

This subtracts out Cryoburn. Cryoburn is a book for people who've read the 19 that came before it. It's a well established world that is familiar to people. Nostalgia may sell books, but it's not enough to win an award.

2. It's got to be fun to read.

This kicks out The Dervish House. As much as McDonald is known for writing fantastic SciFi books, he's not my favorite author.

3. It can't be predictable.

And Blackout/All Clear is out. I found that I would have liked that book more had it been a TV miniseries. It seemed to plod along, but not give me any wowing moments.

So, that leaves me with The One Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and Feed. Here's where it gets difficult. Both books are fantastic. I've recommended them to all of my friends. But, I believe that Feed is the real standout in the Hugo list. It's modern, it's topical, it made me laugh on one page and almost cry on the next. I connected more to the characters in Feed than I did to any other book.

There you have it dear readers, my imaginary vote goes to Feed. My biggest suggestion to everyone is to read all the books and tell me your thoughts. I'd be more than thrilled to post them.

(Image brought to you by: AshliGST)


1 comment:

  1. Hi - I have linked to this post from http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/1786958.html for comparative purposes!

    ReplyDelete