Friday, July 22, 2011

August Reading List

As July comes to an end, and a heat wave rolls over the the United States I thought I'd post my August reading list. In August I'm going to tackle some Classics. Wait. Stop. I caught that eye roll. Classics are the DNA of story telling. Reading them and comparing them to modern literature is a bold necessity. My last post about Jane Eyre shows that. I see echos of that book in modern film, books, and television. 

With that being said, here's the list. 







* Great Expectations will be read over the entire month. Charles Dickens was never really meant to be read in one sitting as a novel. He wrote serials, and they were published with months in between chapters. One of the biggest mistakes that readers make with Dickens is thinking that they have to read it from start to finish with no pauses. So, the write up for that one will be at the end of the month. 





3 comments:

  1. I'm reading Little Women right now! Unfortunately the only edition at the library I went to doesn't have Good Wives included, so I've requested that and am waiting for it. As I read I've been listening to the soundtrack of the musical--I find myself tearing up at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Women is such a wonderful read. I excited that I've got a lovely edition as well. I'll have to post pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely post pictures! I'm just finishing Good Wives and will be starting Little Men tonight!

    ReplyDelete