Sunday, June 5, 2011

Scary Godmother

Scary Godmother

My first two installments of the month were black and white pen and ink comics. Jill Thompson's Scary Godmother is a fully colorized world. It was like overdosing on candy, but in the best way possible. Thompson's illustrations are beautiful watercolors that create a fantastic world where monsters and a little girl team up to create the best Halloween ever. 

(Image brought to you by Jill Thompson)

Part Monsters, Inc and part Nightmare Before Christmas this story drew me in and made me fall in love with it. This comic is perfect for little girls, and perfect for parents of little girls who love to read to them. This book will be anywhere from the graphic novel section of the book store, or (if a wild and crazy staffer decides to have one too many cookies) perhaps it could even make it's way into the children's section. Both are appropriate places for this wonderful book.

Now, here's a bit of caution. I love giving out recommendations for parents. It makes me happy to see parents reading with their children, and it makes me smile when I see a parent instill the love of books into a child. However, not all of Thompson's work is for children. Prior to this book being published she did work on the The Sandman series. Sandman is a great series of comics (I'll read some next year for graphic novel month), but it's geared towards adults.

Speaking of comics not for kids, my next read is Hack/Slash. I'm moving away from fairy tales and moving into the world of horror comics. My love for no good, very bad, absolutely horrible B horror movies runs deep. Hack/Slash is an homage to them. I can't wait to see how many cheerleaders get murdered.

(Image brought to you by: RobSog




No comments:

Post a Comment