Thursday, June 23, 2011

Castle Waiting (Vol. 2)

Castle Waiting #02

This, by far, has been the most infuriating experience out of all the books I've read this month. Castle Waiting is such a good series, but something is wrong. The second book starts out much like the first with beautiful illustrations and a wonderful story, but at chapter three the whole damn book changes. The lettering in the thought balloons switches fonts, the layout goes from six panel to four, and the illustrations lost some of their luster. So, dear readers, I put on my investigative hat and got to work.

The cover of the second volume is notably different than the first.  Linda Medley's name was removed. She had it placed on a sticker on the back. Oddly, Medley's website has been down since sometime in 2003, so I've not been able to find a public comment about it.  Then, I found this post on Amazon by the publisher. According to Wikipedia and other comic sources Medley has decided to take a break from the series. I don't know if this was her decision, or she was forced due to a publishing contract. Either way, it's a complete shame. The second installment ends in the middle of a vital story line, and I would, as well as many others, would like to know how things get resolved. I'll put out Google Alert for new installments, but I'm not holding out much hope. The last comic in this series was published in 2001, so it may never happen.

Now, dear readers, I am coming to an end to graphic novel month. Honestly, this has been some of the most intense reading I've done since college. I'm feeling burned out. Don't worry, I'll compose my thoughts in a post once I'm done with Watchmen.

(Image brought to you by: Howard Somerville)


No comments:

Post a Comment