Sunday, June 5, 2011

Castle Waiting

Castle Waiting

For the second installment of Graphic Novel  month I decided to read Castle Waiting by Linda Medley. This comic is nothing short of a breath of fresh air. Sweet, simple, feminist, and wonderful it strikes back at the heart of the stereotypical male audience of comics.

Medley's illustrations are flat out amazing. Her attention to detail is so meticulous that I found myself reading a page and then staring at it for a while after I was done. She goes to great lengths to create a world that is far far away and familiar at the same time.



(Image brought to you by: Kelly Thompson. Also, this is a great write up of Castle Waiting, so go read it.)

Castle Waiting concentrates on lessor known characters in fairy tales. The setting is the castle that Sleeping Beauty abandoned after she met Prince Charming. It's turned into a refuge for wayward characters who don't have anywhere else to go. I met familiar faces, and found myself running to Google to research the ones I didn't know. To me, this comic belongs in the same genera as Wicked and The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs it gives a different perspective on fairy tales, and what happily ever after can mean.

 The next book I'm reading is Scary Godmother. I'm though the first chapter, and will most likely finish the  book today. I'll say this, if you've got a daughter between the ages of 5-7 you really, really, REALLY need to buy this book. Today. Right now. Scoot.

(Image brought to you by: voluumes

No comments:

Post a Comment