Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Mice Templar

The Mice Templar

Ever go out to a really nice restaurant, pick out the best item on the menu, take the first bite, and then a profound wave of disappointment washes over? That aptly describes my experience with The Mice Templar. The comic had everything I could ever want: epic story line, swords, betrayal, other worldly experiences, and a fantastic structure. It just fell short. I can't pinpoint where, exactly, it fell off the rails, but when I found myself yelling at the main character to stop complaining and grow a pair, I realized it wasn't going well. Imagine Luke in the first Star Wars movie, annoying, right? Now imagine him for 100 pages. Now imagine him as a mouse.

Even though the story fell flat with me, the illustrations are fantastic. The book took the classic comic style of Stan Lee and kicked it up a notch. The mice are a cross between looking cute and sweet and deadly serious. Overall, it carries the story in places where the plot can't (or won't) go. 

My next comic is Maus. This will be the last books in the rodent theme. After that I'm going to take a brief pause from graphic novels to read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. It's my duty as a book club member. 

(Image brought to you by: wonky knee

No comments:

Post a Comment