Thursday, June 9, 2011

Anya's Ghost

Anya's Ghost

I had every intention of picking up this book, reading the first few pages, and then getting some chores done around the apartment. 45 minutes later, the chores were not done, but the book was. This comic is positively lovely.

Anya, a high school girl, falls down a well and in the process befriends a ghost. The story after that is surprising, sweet, and feels very real. The awkwardness of high school, the desire to fit in, and the ever present boy chase are all themes that Vera Brosgol tackles with ease. Brosgol's art style is refreshing. She creates characters that are beautiful and simple. The only problem I had with this book was that it was so short. It left me wanting to know more about Anya, and I wanted to linger in her world much longer.

Brosgol's website can be found here: verabee. I'm tempted to drop her an email. The more comics she draws the better this world will be. Here is an example of her work:

(Image brought to you by: Verabee


A really good companion book to this would be Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis both have an ever present reality that is tragic and beautiful at the same time.

My next comic will be Cowboys & Aliens. I've read this comic in the past and LOVED it. Can't wait to share it with everyone.

(Image brought to you by: linniekin

No comments:

Post a Comment