Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Ruby in the Smoke

The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman

I am a huge fan of Pullman's His Dark Materials series. It is a complex young adult story that is almost addicting. So, when I picked up The Ruby in the Smoke I was really excited. The problem is, the story fell flat. I just couldn't bring myself to get lost in Sally Lockheart's story. I don't blame the author in this instance, the book was very well written. I blame myself. I've had a rough week and have been bouncing back and forth between obligations. Blaming an author for Pullman for my lack of focus isn't what I want to do.

I'm going to recommend this book as an entry way to Pullman's other series. As highly as I push the His Dark Materials series on people it's still a challenging read for a young person. The Lockheart books will get the reader familiar with how things work. Also, with the advent of Dr. Who, Harry Potter, and other authors young adult are falling in love with all things British. (Adults are too, I'm a huge Dr. Who fan and I am passionate about Downton Abbey)

I'm moving onto The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I ordered it from Amazon a few days after it was released. Somehow I am now in possession of a signed copy.  Don't ask me how, but I rather like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment