Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls  by Patrick Ness

This book rendered me a blubbering mess. A Monster Calls speaks a truth that is so simple but so hard to say. It takes the grieving process and breaks it down into its most basic components. As fantastic as it may seem, the book feels grounded in reality. This book will help people heal. This book has the ability to change lives. I realize the statements I just wrote may appear to be hyperbole. They are not. Great literature is transformative, and A Monster Calls is firmly within that category. I cannot recommend this book enough. Make sure you read this novel in the near future. It is worth devoting time and energy.

A few notes on the text, A Monster Calls is a mixed media book. Meaning, it straddles the boarder between graphic and traditional novel. Whole pages are illustrations, and the illustrations bleed into the text. I have noticed this happening frequently in YA books. It's a trend that needs to keep going. There are many fine artists out there. Pair author with artist and see what happens. I bet most of the time it will be beautiful. Also, I purchased the hardbound  version. It was printed on lovely paper, and the dust jacket was amazing. Check this book out at a local bookstore, it is worth holding just for a moment.

Next us is Invisible Man. We chose this for Required Reading Revisited. I've never picked it up, but I believe it was assigned when I was in college. What? Do you think I read everything on those lists? No way. One can only go though so many discussions about Proust before one goes a bit batty.




No comments:

Post a Comment