Saturday, January 7, 2012

1Q84 Book 1

1Q84 Book 1 by Haruki Murakami

Few things first, 1Q84 was published as three separate volumes in Japan, so there will be three write ups for the same novel. I have no idea why Random House decided to publish all three together, because I feel like Murakami wanted space in between the books. This work isn't something that one sits down and reads all at once or over the course of a month. It should be read one book at a time, slowly, perhaps over the course of a year. I have decided that I am going to do just that. I will take a break between book one and two. Meaning, I'm going to move on to other works. Don't worry, I'll get back to it, but it may be a while. It could be February before it comes around again.

Onto my thoughts, there are sections of this book that defy description. The prose doubles back on itself. In a way the book becomes a work of Science Fiction, but it does so almost reluctantly. There are obviously two different worlds in 1Q84, but I spent the better part of the first hundred pages doubting that it existed. Even at the end, I still feel that one of the two main characters could be a liar, but I'm unclear on which one. Look, I realize this is vague and somewhat maddening, you will have to trust me. Buy the novel and read it. It is unlike anything I have encountered for quite some time.

Comparing the work against its source material 1Q84 did not seem to take anything from Orwell's work. However, for a moment, Murakami makes an overt connection. He blatantly states that 1984 is inspiring 1Q84, but it is in ways that will be developed further in Book 2 and Book 3.  As overt and direct 1984 was 1Q84 is not. The two books are almost opposites. Big Brother simply does not exist in Murakami's world, but Little People do.

Walking away, 1Q84 needs a bit of time to settle. I think the biggest mistake I could make is to dive into Book 2 looking for answers. Having read Murakami in the past, I know that the answers will come on their own time, and at their own pace. I am going to move on to The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963. This is on purpose, I need something a bit lighter after the first book.


No comments:

Post a Comment