Saturday, January 28, 2012

Galore and a guide to magical realism

Galore by Michael Crummey

Galore is a book steeped in magical realism and Biblical illusions. Set in Newfoundland, Canada it tells the story of a town. Crummey's novel felt like the Canadian version of One Hundred Years of Solitude. As complementary as that is, Galore is a challenging read. It is the type of book that can be an undertaking for a light reader. The pay off is enormous, the book is full of beautiful images and it is a story that can help see the beauty in the world.

Magical realism is a relativity new genera of literature. I feel that the approach of the book world towards this genera has been stodgy and intimidating. Regular readers avoid it because academics are making it seem so complex. I want to set up a reading guide, so that books like Galore are more accessible. First, Galore is not where anyone should start. It's a beautiful book, but will put readers off the genera because it is too challenging. Start with Life of Pi. Pi is a bridge book, meaning that it straddles the line between Young Adult and Fiction. It's imagery and illusions are accessible to both audiences. Then move onto  Love in the Time of Cholera. Cholera is  bit more challenging than Pi. Marquez weaves stories together using colorful threads of dialogue. Also, Cholera is more of a campfire story. It doesn't proceed from point A to point B. It ambles around, goes backwards and forwards. Next read One Hundred Years of Solitude. It's one of the best books ever written. I can't express the beauty of it in words. Just read it. Then, after all that, read Galore. Yes, I realize I've given out a project with my recommendations, but I don't want anyone to feel like Galore is too much of  challenge.

Moving on, I'm reading something much lighter. I Am Number Four is a book that has been chattered about for a few years, and I feel like it is time I read it.  Michael Bay has blurbed the book, so there had better be explosions or I am going to demand my money back.


No comments:

Post a Comment