Saturday, December 31, 2011

Wildwood

Wildwood by Colin Meloy

Wildwood is Meloy's first foray into novel length prose. His talents are usually at the helm of the Decemberists. The book is also illustrated  by  Carson Ellis. Over all, the book is good. The story is captivating, the characters are solid, and it wraps up nicely. Also, my fears of this being a vanity project were set aside. Due to the style of the novel, it is rather obvious that Meloy has been sitting on this story for a while. My hope is that Meloy is able to keep the momentum to write. If so, this could be an amazing YA series.

Wildwood clocks in at around 500 pages. As intimidating as that is, the book reads at faster than average pace. I could see in areas where the author had written himself into a corner and tried to get his way out. All novels have those traps, some are adept at getting out of them and some aren't. Meloy was better than average. It's easy to over look that when one realizes that the author is constructing a new world of magic, and I absolutely fell in love with that world. I'm a complete sucker for talking animal books, and Wildwood filled my quota. It's head nod to Wind in the Willows and Charlotte's Web were lovely. The structure of the world made me happy as well. It lends itself to expansion. Meaning, I hope a sequel is on the way.

Walking away from Wildwood I'm smiling. I've read 110 books this year (it may end up being 111), and I started this blog. I'm glad I could bring my musings about books to the fine folks that read this. 2012 is going to bring great things. First, the reading project. That starts tomorrow. Second, graduate school, my applications are due by Feburary 15th. Lastly, I'm going to be moving again, so I'll have to pack my life into boxes and purge things I don't need. 2012 is going to be a year of transition for me. I can feel it.

My next read is Blankets by Craig Thompson. So far it is astonishing.




No comments:

Post a Comment