Sunday, October 30, 2011

Link Round Up

World Book Night has chosen it's books for the UK and Ireland, THE BOOKS 2012. For those who are unfamiliar World Book Night  is designed to  spread the love of reading. Givers sign up though the website and promise to hand out copies of their book to people who either do not have access or chose not to read. I will keep you posted when the US books are announced.

Book Riot did article, Reading Pathways: Haruki Murakami. This week his magnum opus 1Q84 was published in the US. I'm waiting for the paperback to come out, so I'll be reading it some time next year. Also, I did a write up of Kafka on the Shore. Murakami's body of work is astonishingly good.

Another Book Riot article, The End of Cosmos: Chick Lit in the Recession Age. I don't think that Chick Lit as a genera has gone away. Its morphed into something new. Carrie Bradshaw's cocaine* fueled shoe shopping expeditions have now become something slightly more realistic. As the economy improves I expect it to flip back to the fantasy that it once was.

Why do we love great literature? The article, Perfectly flawed is a fantastic analysis. Our favorite characters are flawed like we are.

Finally, Is Amazon Short-Changing Authors? This is a great read, I own a Kindle, and I'd like to think that Amazon is pay authors fairly. I'm going to wait for more criticism and more voices on this. It is a conversation worth having.

(I took this picture. It's my current bookmark. Isn't it cute?) 





No comments:

Post a Comment