Sunday, October 2, 2011

Leviathan

Leviathan

Scott Westerfeld's steampunk, young adult, alternative World War 1 history is not my cup of tea. That is to say, I've never been fond of action adventure books. To me, that has always been an area where comics and animated features step in, and take over, the medium lends itself to that scope of a world. Obviously, this is personal preference. Westerfeld's book is written well, the characters are charming, the world is fully realized, and the story is compelling. It would be a great novel for a kid that can not stop watching Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Firefly. Also, it's the first book in a trilogy, so I am sure over time the story line would become far more detailed.

Part of the reason I picked up this novel was due to the Austin Teen Book Festival. I'm glad to say that I went. It is the second year for it, and I'm happy to say that it is expanding. Young Adult Literature is one of break out genres of the last 15 years. Between Twilight and Harry Potter more and more adults are turning to YA Lit for a reading fix. Be honest, can we blame them? Check out the most recent Pulitzer Prize winners. Most of these novels are challenging to academics, let alone the average reader. YA Lit gives adults an outlet that normal fiction can not. It allows for a story to be accessible, easy to read, and fun. All things a great book should be.  Authors like Westerfeld will enjoy more and more success as the years go on, because he can create a world where people want to visit.

Up next is a selection for the Required Reading Revisited Book Club. I am ashamed to say I have never read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain has been a blind spot for me for far too long. I hope it is as good as everyone says that it is.

Also, I wanted to give a list of my next few books:

Tinkers

Island Beneath the Sea

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America

A Fine Balance

(Image brought to you by: journal.florali)


No comments:

Post a Comment