Sunday, August 7, 2011

Not intended to be a feminist statement

When I started this blog it was because I was urged to do so by a group of friends. I was facebooking, tweeting, and talking about the books I read. I thought that it would be a great escape for me from my job, that's not that intellectually stimulating, and political activism, that's sometimes so intellectually stimulating that it makes my head hurt. I had convinced myself that it would be a place for me to not discuss myself as a feminist or as someone who is politically active.

Then I watched Isabel Allende tells tales of passion. And then I looked at my dogeared copy of Half the Sky. Then I started looking up statistics about illiteracy and how it affects women. It's the elephant in the room I've been trying to ignore. Yes, this blog is a feminist statement. Not the bra burning, male bashing, turn off the TV kind. It's the simple statement that I'm a woman who likes to read and I've made it my passion to share it with others. I will blog about and get involved in literacy campaigns because, at the end of the day, the more we help women the better the world will be.

This blog is a privilege. In some areas of the world it simply would be possible because allowing someone like me to read or write simply isn't a priority. In other areas I'd be labeled as a political dissident and tossed in prison. Taking pen to paper, or in this case cursor to screen, has always been a political statement. It's honestly time I've stopped ignoring what this is, and call it out. Now, will this change the content of the blog? No. I will still post about the books I read, and do my regular write ups. What may change is my involvement in literacy campaigns. I may use this space to inform my readers on where to donate and how to get involved. Join me. Let's make this world a better place.


(Image brought to you by: DebbieAllan




1 comment: