Thursday, August 4, 2011

South Congress Books

South Congress Books

I was having a grumpy morning. August in Texas is like being in Hell's waiting room. It's hot, dry, and the sun seems to have the amazing ability to be hotter than one ever thought possible. It also doesn't help that my area is in such as severe drought that it's being compared to the 1930's Dust Bowl. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but suffice to say I was well into having a bad day. Then things changed, my husband and I were driving on South Congress, and a small shop caught my eye. That's right Austin, South Congress now has a bookstore. I demanded, in a nice way, that we stop, have lunch, and pop in. Oh boy, am I glad I did.

South Congress Books is a charming little shop. It's a used/rare book shop that seems to have been on that street for years. It's addition fits the missing spot that that area has needed for years. The shop is bright and tidy. It contains a wonderful variety of used and rare books that made this bibliophile hum with excitement. It's a bookstore for readers, built by readers, and designed to make those who seek out vintage material very happy. It's not like Half Price Books, it's more a boutique shop for collectors of rare items and vintage material that fit within well established home libraries.

So, if you are on South Congress, and you want to make the bibliophile in your life happy stop inside. Afterwards you can stop in Big Top Candy Shop and have an honest to goodness soda*, a homemade Cafe Au Lait truffle, and skip though the rest of your day happy. That's what I did.

*By honest to goodness I mean made by a soda jerk. This means that they've got the syrup and the soda water and they mix the two together. It will be the best soda you've ever had. Trust me on this.

(Image brought to you by: delightfuldwellings)


No comments:

Post a Comment