Sunday, April 10, 2011

Let the Right One In or the perfect antidote for Twilight

Let the Right One In! How I loved the movie! How I enjoyed the book! In a world where vampires have been redefined as sparkling in sunlight and pouting; this book offers fans of the monster horror genera a fresh perspective and a fun read with this novel. It's gory, it's violent, it goes places that make the reader uncomfortable, and it's got squirrel cam! (Seriously though, for a small section of the book the author writes from the perspective of a squirrel. It's refreshing because the other characters are hashed out and tired at that point. Good move on his part. Put a smile on my face.) Don't pick up this book and think it's a new definition of Dracula. It very much isn't. It is, however, a great ride though early 1980's Sweden.

I cut my literary teeth on horror novels when I was growing up. I read stacks of Stephen King and Dean Koontz during the summer. If John Ajvide Lindqvist keeps churning out books like this he'll find himself in the company of the above mentioned authors. He's got quite a voice, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Now a warning, this book is not for the faint of heart. It doesn't shy away from overt acts of horrific violence. One of the characters attempts suicide by dumping a bottle of acid in his face, and well....  let's just say.... it's descriptive. I, due to my love of all things scary, didn't find this disturbing. You, delicate reader, may have nightmares. If what I just wrote makes you make that, oh-god-I-forgot-I-left-the-raw-chicken-in-the-car-and-it's-been-90-degrees-for-two-straight-days-and-I-haven't-driven-anywhere-face, don't read it. If your love of vampires runs deep, buy a copy.

My next read is for the Required Reading Revisited book club. Yes, devoted readers, I'm taking on The Illiad. You know, because Ancient Greek poetry is how I wanted to spend my summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment