Thursday, February 16, 2012

Troop 142 and The Stonekeeper

Troop 142 by Mike Dawson

I finished Troop 142 yesterday, and I have been attempting to write this post ever since I flipped the book shut. The words aren't coming to me. This graphic novel is so difficult to describe. It is a methodical exploration of boyhood and masculinity, but uses the guise of being a simple comic book. The closest literary comparison that I have  is The Body by Stephen King. Even that is a stretch because King makes it seem like boys go though an innocent period and then have a moment of corruption. Troop 142 shows a more realistic picture. Boys are complex emotional creatures. I encourage everyone to seek this comic out. It is worth the read, and the inevitable discussion that will take place.

I love that Dawson is using this medium to tell these stories. It's important works that reaches out to the right audience. Similar to comics like Blankets and Persepolis Dawson is taking readers to an emotional place that regular novels just can't go. I challenge authors like Dawson to keep creating. I need a lot more books like this in my collection.

The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi

My biggest complaint with The Stonekeeper is that it rushes the plot. It seems like a series that is eager to get to the meat of the story with minimal exposition. Usually, I'm a fan, back story in comics can be filled in by my imagination. However, I love how this was drawn, so I wanted to linger in the world a bit longer. Kibuishi's art style reminds me of early 90s animated series. It may feel like Duck Tales, but the story runs a bit darker than the Disney inspiration. This is a great rainy day book. I also ordered the sequel, so I plan on reading that sometime next week.

Next up is Habibi by Craig Thompson. It has been sitting on my shelf since early January, it has been nearly impossible to resist. I can't wait to dive in.




No comments:

Post a Comment