Sunday, February 19, 2012

Habibi and Gingerbread Girl

Habibi by Craig Thompson

Every now and again I end up reading a watershed book. The kind of story that when I read reviews 10 years from now young comic book authors will site it as an inspiration. Books like Watchmen, Maus, and Persepolis are already mentioned in hushed tones as being some of the best comics has to offer. The next book to join them will be Habibi. Thompson's work, that took him six years to create, is not an easy read. It's graphic, sexual, and in some places maddeningly stereotypical. However, the book rises above all of it. Thompson creates a story that is so beautiful it is worth every single moment he spent drawing it. I absolutely love that everything I touch in the novel Thompson created. From the cover to the chapter breaks everything feels handmade. It has a Shop Class as Soulcraft feel to it. Pick up the hard cover version of this. It is worth every dollar.

I have gone out and read some criticisms of Hababi. People have said they were waiting for Blankets 2. In a way it is. Hababi feels more like the spiritual journey of an artist. It starts out trying to excuse the inexcusable and by the end it shows two people who love one another because of the journey undertaken.

Gingerbread Girl by Colleen Coover and Paul Tobin

I'm wrapping up my stint of graphic novels on Gingerbread Girl. At 104 pages it seems like it would be a short and quick romp thought a fun story. Walking away from it, Gingerbread Girl does more in that space that some novels can't even attempt. It asks existential questions about existence and finding inner truth. It does it in a quirky self aware way that I was almost taken aback. Every character breaks the 4th wall. Animals step up and tell versions of events that humans miss. I have a feeling I will go back to Gingerbread Girl just so I can see how well it ages. It is very possible that it could be come a classic.

I'm moving onto Shooting Kabul by N.H. Senzai. It is part of NPR's Backseat Bookclub. Also, I must tell you about my new bookmark. Pink Tank has crafted this excellent NYC Landscape bookmark. It is beautiful, and I want all of you to order one when you get the chance. They make great gifts to the reader in your life.

  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment