Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: Book I: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood 

Children's chapter books are always a bit of a hit or miss. In one respect, they could turn into the mega hit, mega ghost written, hundreds of books long series like The Baby-sitters Club. This, when an author lends his or her name to it, can buy a vacation home in the Hamptons. The series can also turn into something like a Babysitters Club clone, and end up collecting dust on the shelves of the bookstores. What Maryrose Wood has created is a winning series. Her characters are likable, the books read well from an adult perspective as well as a child, and it's a very accessible story.  The big question becomes, will it take off? I hope so. This series could be the introduction to a life time of reading to a child. It's worth buying and giving as a gift. The age range that would be acceptable is 3rd though 5th grade.

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

Where previous book drops off the Mysterious Benedict Society picks up. Easing in right around a 6th to 9th grade reading level, and novel of this undertaking makes a young adult feel slightly more adult. The plot is not dumbed down, and makes for a good introduction to mystery and suspense. As an adult, I found it to be a lovely rip off of the plot of  They Live. I kept expecting a wink and a nod, perhaps some bubble gum, but alas the author didn't come though. However, as a child who doesn't have access to late 80s horror movies that involve aliens and baseball bats, it will be a fresh story. Also, it connects deeper than the crappy horror movie ever could. The children involved in the story humanize it and give it a better emotional weight than I was expecting. It's definitely a book that would make a great holiday gift.

The two books were a great distraction from the outside world. Best read on snowy nights snuggled under the covers. I can remember when I was a young girl loosing myself in books like this. My mind would drift and the characters would be come part of me. Approach these books with a sense of wonder and joy, not the jaded eyes of an adult. They exist to entertain, tell a story, and perhaps teach a small lesson as the words fly by.

Next up is Deathless. I've had this book on my reading list for a shot time. Looks like it's going to be interesting. Also, over Thanksgiving weekend I am going to start reading East of Eden.



No comments:

Post a Comment