Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Banned Books Week

It's Banned Books Week, and it's time for the ubiquitous blog post about it.  A primer on the most challenged books can be found here, most frequently challenged books of 2010.

I've always found that humor is the best defense against stupidity, so I'm going to name off some of the most ridiculous reasons that books have been banned. 

The Diary of Anne Frank: Members of the Alabama State Textbook Committee called for the rejection of said book because it was “a real downer.” Get that? It's a downer. Leave it to text book officials to sum up the entire Holocaust by calling it a downer. 

Little Red Riding Hood: `It gives the younger ones the wrong impression about alcohol.' I'll admit, it's been a while since I've read this one. However, if a large wolf tries to eat me, after pretending to be my grandmother, I think I've earned a tiny glass of wine. 

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary: It gives the definition of "oral sex". The dictionary also gives the definitions of war, torture, rape, and racism. What is more offensive? 

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: After complaints by parents stated that teachers "can choose the best books, but they keep choosing this garbage over and over again." I love this logic, I didn't like the book, lets ban it, so teachers are forced to pick something else.

Sons and Lovers: An Oklahoma City group called Mothers United for Decency hired a trailer, dubbed it "smutmobile," and displayed books deemed objectionable, including Lawrence's novel. If I ever write a novel I feel like the highest place of honor would be on something called a smutmobile. Also, if anyone ever finds a picture of this, I'm going to print it out and frame it. 


(Image brought to you by: thisisnthappiness)




1 comment: