Thursday, May 5, 2011

Shadow Walkers by Brent Hartinger

On many levels, Shadow Walkers by Brent Hartinger shouldn't have worked. The book is a teen thriller about a boy who hunts down his brother's kidnapper via astral projection. The very basis of the plot is eye rolling to me. If it wasn't for this NPR review, I would have completely ignored it. However, this book is a lot better than I expected, Hartinger crafts a great and believable story.  I'm half tempted to buy a hardbound edition of this and mail it to my Nephew. I have a feeling he'd read it and pass it along to all of his friends.

However, and this is my biggest fear, this book may end up languishing in the Queer studies section of most bookstores because the two main characters are gay. It could suffer the same fate as Oranges are Not the Only Fruit, wherein it's a great book  that should have a wide audience. However, because of it's perceived gayness it gets shoved in a section where the people who should be reading it don't think to look. This, at least to me, is extraordinarily frustrating. I'd like to see Hartinger get a huge display at Barns and Noble. After this book, he deserves it.

Next up is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. I'm ashamed to admit I started this book a few years ago and stopped reading it because the new Harry Potter book came out. I assure you, dear readers, this will not happen.


(Image brought to you by: At The Moment, who's a talented photographer. Check out his or her Tumblr)

No comments:

Post a Comment