Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How to buy a comic book

When I made my June announcement I got a lot of positive feedback via facebook and Twitter. However, I also had a few Tweets and direct messages saying that comics and comic buying was intimidating. This is understandable. Most people I've met think that comic shops are run by people like this:

(Image brought to you by: Matt Groening)

They aren't. In fact, if you are ever forced to put up with how that Simpsons character treats people, leave the shop and give it a scathing review on Yelp.

Another intimidation factor is the long term comic reader. You know, the person at work with who's got the Green Lantern tattoo. He's got his comics in plastic sleeves, and he's able to point out insane flaws in the story lines. This guy shouldn't really be a problem. The vast majority of comic shops I've been in, and worked with, have pull lists. This guy swings in the comic shop, waves hi to the guy behind the counter, the clerk hands him a stack of stuff, and he walks out $40 poorer. This entire transaction should take 10 minutes. 30 if he's chatty. He won't leave the front counter, and I rarely run into him in the back of the store when I'm trolling the manga section looking for new titles unless he's going to the bathroom.

Next up, comic shops tend to have a organization system that can be confusing. The majority of shops I've been in have long cardboard boxes marked with plastic dividers. Said boxes contain large swaths of comics that vary in age. Don't panic. These boxes are set up for collectors. A lot of the back story lines are kept in these boxes, so if one is shopping for the first time he or she won't spend a whole lot of time in this area.

Speaking of collectors, if there are toys in the shop understand that the vast majority of them will never see the bottom of a toy box. They will be lovingly displayed in glass cases in the homes of collectors. Again, one is able to skip this area completely unless something catches the eye.

With all that being said, the biggest and most discussed fear is not knowing what to buy. This is where the clerk comes in. Yes, dear readers, one must ask for help. Describe to the clerk your literary background. Tell him what books you like to read and what TV shows you like to watch. Explain to him that you've never been in a comic shop before. In under an hour you will be holding a stack of books. Buying comics for the first time is a collaboration. Try to shop local for this. Sure, the local big box book store may have some graphic novels and comics, but finding the best work is in comic shops. The owners and clerks tend to have a passion for sharing their love of comics.*

So dear readers, I challenge you to go to your local comic shop and buy a comic book. You may just fall in love.




(Image brought to you by: Big Shiny Robot)

*If you live in my city the best shop I've found is Austin Books and Comics. The shop is well run, the clerks are amazing, and they've got a lot of variety.

4 comments:

  1. I'm still working on my response to your review of Marable's biography, but I felt compelled to comment on this blog post. I think most comic book store employees are pricks. Some of them are racist pricks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've experienced sexism. Here's a word for word exchange that I had in high school.

    Clerk: Are these for your boyfriend?

    Me: No.

    Clerk: Brother?

    Me: No.

    Clerk: Father?

    Me: No.

    Clerk: Um.

    Me: They are for me.

    Clerk: Oh. Are you a lesbian?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's classic. You should've said, "Why yes I am a lesbian. Can I have your mom's phone number?"

    ReplyDelete