Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Desert Island Books


The question always seems to pop up at parties. It goes something like this, “If you were stranded on a desert island, what five books would you bring with you?”

It’s an impossible task,  I’d have to narrow down my library to five books. This post will be my best shot.


1. To Kill a Mockingbird

2. One Hundred Years of Solitude

3. The Canterbury Tales

4.Lord of the Rings (the three volume set) *

5. Hitch Hiker's Guide To the Galaxy: a Trilogy in Four Parts *

It’s my island. I read what I want.

*Yes, I realize these are sets. They are still technically one book. I’ll argue that point with the evil desert island overlords.

Side note, I just put this book on my wishlist: Deathless. I can't wait to read it.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty good picks. Here's my Top 5 Desert island Books:

    1. The Bible (you knew that was coming)

    2. The Collected Prose of Woody Allen -by Woody Allen

    3. The Maltese Falcon- by Dashiell Hammett

    4. Watchmen- by Alan Moore

    5. Basket Case- by Carl Hiaasen
    5a. The Awakening- by Kate Chopin

    I put it like this, as I go back and forth on this one. Depends on the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Pride and Prejudice
    2. His Dark Materials set (I'll stand with you on arguing sets to the evil overlords)
    3. The Anansi Boys
    4. Welcome to the Monkey House
    5. SAS Survial Guide

    ReplyDelete