Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Anger Management Sessions in Wuthering Heights

Five years ago I was hungry for a good series. I walked into Joseph-Beth and asked for a recommendation. (Sadly this bookstore has closed.)  A copy of The Eyre Affair was thrust into my hands. Two days later I was back for Lost in a Good Book. Two days after that I was hunting for a copy of The Well of Lost Plots. A love affair had started. I hadn't felt this way since I had read The Hitch Hiker's Guide To the Galaxy .

Fford has the amazing ability to be funny and kind at the same time. Think about it, when is the last time you laughed at something that was kind? Sure, you’ve laughed at stand up comedians, SNL (once or twice in the last 15 years), the Simpsons,  or even a random Sit-Com on television. All of those examples are someone making fun of someone else,  sometimes it’s brutal, sometimes it’s soft, but it’s almost never kind.

Last night I finished One of our Thursdays is Missing, and I really enjoyed it. Being the fifth book in a series it’s a tad difficult to review with out sounding like an idiot. I could tell you that the written Thursday can’t find the real Thursday so she has to leave the Eyre Affair to find her. But that could drive you away from the series. However, I discovered a fantastic video by the author that explains the whole issue:

Yes, this whole blog post is playing the Jasper Fford Role Playing Game. Read the books. You’ll laugh out loud. Do it for yourself.

Next up is Lord of the Flies for the Required Reading Revisited book club. Small confession, I've never read this book. I’ve cited it in papers, I’ve discussed it, but after I read the first chapter I realized I must have picked up the CliffNotes when I was in college.

2 comments:

  1. Lord of the flies ruined my childhood.

    I never looked at my friends the same way again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, after the first chapter I can see why. It's going to be brutal.

    ReplyDelete