Friday, March 23, 2012

Uglies

Uglies by Scott Westerfield

Uglies is the kind of book that has all the makings of a good Young Adult novel, but then it never really delivers. Set up as a dystopia, Westerfield creates a world where everyone under the age of 16 is ugly. Then, after a surgical intervention, they are made pretty. The catch is being made pretty also comes along with minor (but reversible) brain damage that makes one docile. However, the catch to the minor yet reversible brain damage is that you get to live in a big city, party every night, and have as much sex as you want with little to no repercussions.  Did I mention that the brain damage was reversible? I guess my point is when making a dystopia make the mysterious evil government actually mysterious and evil. The fact that this dystopic society gives out free dental care is not something to be taken lightly. It makes me wonder, "Well, HOW much brain damage are we talking? Also, when you say it is reversible what is the time frame on that?"

Look, I understand that Westerfield is trying to make a point about body image, beauty, and how we think of ourselves. These are deep and meaningful questions that all young people should be asking. The book will open the door to change some minds. It is doing something important. However, I think it is a YA Book that truly is YA. It doesn't transfer up to an adult because we have either moved pasted it, or are too focused on getting plastic surgery that we would miss the point.

My next book is Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #1: Wolf Brother. I am thrilled to be reading it because two of my nephews will be in town next week. I hope to buy them some books as gifts. Also, after I am done wit this I am going to read a bunch of non-fiction.




No comments:

Post a Comment