Thursday, March 29, 2012

Feminine Mystique

Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan

The first installment for April's 2012 reading project is Friedan's seminal work. Credited for starting the second wave of feminism it is often sited as the book that all women must read before they leave college. It should be noted that I have read and watched many media figures cite Friedan's book either with bile or with glee when having discussions about women.

 Friedan's book is  product of the 1960.  She had me for the first few chapters. The problem with no name is something that everyone had felt. It is that chilling question we ask ourselves when we get up in the morning, "Is this all?"

Then she starts to harp on Freud. Look, I understand that the difference between Psychiatry in 1960 and 2012 is similar to comparing the original Super Mario Brothers to Skyrim, but it gets tedious. Also, her mother bashing and homophobia are off putting. Again, I realize I am looking at this book with a 2012 filter, but it is hard not to have the reaction.

Even with those criticisms of the book there are moments where Feminine Mystique is ground breaking. The criticism of media and advertising are still reverberating today. The way women view themselves is often shaped by what we see. So much so, it made me seek out more episodes of  Target Women With Sarah Haskins. Haskins has a modern satirical look at how women portrayed. It is hysterical, take some time and watch a few episodes.

All in all, I found this book lacking. It doesn't seem to call for the radical change that is attributed to it. I would recommend for people to pick it up and give it a go, but my concern is that most won't make it though. It is a really dense read. Walking away from it, I feel that it is a let down. It isn't the book that I thought it was. Friedan doesn't call for intense radical change, she is simply a critic of her environment.

Next up is Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky. I'll say this Alinsky's voice is commanding. I'm only 20 pages in, and he speaks with a great sense of authority.




1 comment: